History of Cyr Plantation and Cyr Plantation Homesteads digital collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of one album of images and one Shutterfly book of images. The album contains photocopies of black and white and colored images of people and places around Cyr Plantation depicting the history of the plantation. The Shutterfly book includes colored images of the homesteads of the area as of 2014.
- 1859 - 2014
- Other: 2019
Conditions Governing Access
No restrictions on access.
Early settlers moved to what would become Cyr Plantation in the mid-1800s, then known as Township Letter L. Around that time, a road was built between the Aroostook River and Grand Falls, New Brunswick, Canada (which today stretches between Caribou, Maine and Hamlin, Maine). Many early inhabitants obtained grants to lots near the road and Hammond Brook to farm the land. The plantation was formally organized on March 12, 1870, and named after the many Cyrs in the area, including Andre Cyr and his father Christopher, the first Cyrs in Cyr Plantation.
In 1879, the settlement was principally on the stagecoach-line from Caribou to Van Buren (Maine), known as Caribou Road. Throughout the century, there were people living on rear lots of the Cyr Plantation. At one time, two sawmills and a starch factory were in operation. Today Cyr Plantation is a full township with an area of approximately 6.5 square miles. The township with its reddish soil, yields good crops of wheat, oats, buckwheat, and its famous potatoes!
0.18 Cubic Feet (1 album, 1 photo book on digital file )
Language of Materials
A visit to the Acadian Archives at UMFK is recommended to access the digital files.
- Anne Chamberland
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script