Laurel Daigle hooked rug of Fort Kent blockhouse
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of one hooked rug of the Fort Kent Blockhouse made by Mr. Laurel Daigle of Fort Kent, Maine in 1991. The year 1839, the letters L. D. 91 and the words Fort Kent Block House are displayed on the hooked rug. The rug is framed in dark blue with white stars all around. The blockhouse is of different shades of brown with a background of light blue, light green, and beige. The rug measure 37.5 inches by 30 inches.
- Other: Unknown
- Daigle, Laurel, 1939- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright has not been assigned to the Acadian Archives/Archives acadiennes. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Acadian Archives/Archives acadiennes
Laurel J. Daigle has lived, worked, and raised a family in Fort Kent. He was born in 1939 the son of Alcide Hilaire Daigle and Gertrude (Daigle) Daigle. Mr. Daigle graduated from the Madawaska Training School with the class of 1960. He was president of the Alumni Association in 1964. Laurel worked as guidance director at the Fort Kent Community High School. He was the owner of Country Cottage in Fort Kent. He’s also the author of local history volumes such as Fort Kent (Images of America); A chronological history: Fort Kent's Saint Louis Catholic Church; History of public education in Maine School Administrative District No. 27: a long tradition of service and excellence; Holy Family Parish, Daigle, Maine, 1906-2000: commemorating 94 years of ministry. Furthermore, Laurel has been a member of the Fort Kent Historical Society for many years.
The Fort Kent Blockhouse is located at the confluence of the Fish River and the St. John River in Fort Kent, Maine. The blockhouse is the only fortification relating to the "Bloodless" Aroostook War of 1838-1839, and the border dispute between Great Britain and the United States. The signing of the Webster-Ashburton Treaty in 1842 settled the boundary dispute between Maine and New Brunswick and reduced the need for a fort, although federal troops remained there until 1845 to protect Maine’s and the United States’ interests in the region.
The blockhouse is a two-story structure. Its walls are built of square-hewn cedar logs, some of which measure over 19 inches in width. It is an excellent example of early 19th-century military architecture. The blockhouse serves as a museum and is maintained by local Eagle Scouts in cooperation with the Bureau of Parks and Recreation, Maine Department of Conservation. The state-owned blockhouse is on the National Register of Historic Places as well as being a National Historic Landmark.
.45 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
- Anne Chamberland
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Acadian Archives Repository
University of Maine at Fort Kent
23 University Drive
Fort Kent ME 04743 United States